Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Mutual Support

 Read Ephesians 6

We will put on the full armor of God in the next service.  For now, let’s look at how Paul wrapped up that section.

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

There is a concept in military operations called mutual support.  Not only am I shooting the bad guys in front of me, but also those in front of you.  You do the same for me. 

The military term is interlocking and overlapping fields of fire. While we train individuals to defeat the enemy man to man, we practice defeating the enemy together.

Paul’s concept of prayer fits this model.  Be alert, not just for yourself but for all of God’s people.  Pray for all believers not just yourself and your family.

Ask for what you need to accomplish the mission that the Lord has given you but ask also that the Lord protect and provide for those other believers who have put on the full armor of God.

Paul asked for boldness and fearlessness.  Paul knew that his mission was to take the gospel to the world, most of it the Gentile world.

Paul asked his fellow believers to pray that he would never wimp out. Paul faced physical hardship, being stoned, shipwrecked, and imprisoned.  He asked his fellow believers to pray that he would heed his own counsel and continue to press on toward the goal.

We know that Paul often prayed for new believers to stick to the one true gospel and not be persuaded by other arguments that might appeal to their own understanding.

How do we apply this?

The prayer list is one way.  Putting someone on the prayer list doesn’t help.  Praying for those on the prayer list does.

We don’t say—I hope—I put them on the prayer list. My work here is done.  Unfortunately, some do just that.

Connecting with other believers more than on Sunday or Wednesday gives us insight into what we should pray for in their lives.

Serving the Lord in various ministries often gives us eyes to see where prayers would be most effective.  We are told that the prayers of a righteous person are powerful and effective. 

How powerful would the prayers of many who are made right by the blood of Jesus be?  Surely, the more that we pray for each other the better.

Paul asked for prayers for himself. How should you pray for me?

Pray that I don’t ever preach to itching ears.  My tendency is to preach the truth without regard to whether or not it is favorably received; however, we live in an age where so many do not want God’s word but want his blessings.

Pray that I don’t put any fluff in the messages entrusted to me. You are still going to get the dad jokes, but pray I don’t dilute anything to avoid ruffling feathers that the word of God intended to be ruffled.

Pray that I stick to the truth even when it leaves me socially isolated.

Pray that I do not become cynical.  I am somewhat sarcastic by nature, but I must never become cynical even when people come to the church seeking only the things of this world.  Help me to continue to preach and teach and counsel salvation through Christ alone.

Pray that I never abandon my echoing of the Lord’s charge to love one another. When my human nature says chokehold, help me to preach and live love one another.

Like Paul, my charge is a little different from yours, but we share many things in common and should pray for these things for each other.

To be known by our love.

To be a light unto the world.

To seek God and his kingdom and his righteousness before all things.

To forgive when my own understanding says not this time.

To seek to be led by God’s Spirit in all that we do.

We are to be mutually supporting.  We put on the full armor of God each day but we fight not only for ourselves but for each other.

One of our main munitions is prayer. Let us be mutually supportive in our prayers.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment