Thursday, October 17, 2019

Well done good and faithful servant--a memorial service for Gene Reeves


We gather this afternoon to worship God and celebrate the life of Gene Reeves

It’s hard to see him go, but he made this a very easy sermon to preach.  Today you get three messages.  I am the most recent pastor and will speak to what I know of Gene.  Jim knew Gene before any of us up here and I know there is no way that Duawn could have been untouched by this faithful servant of God.

They can tell the stories of mismatched boots and golf tournaments or snow angels or Gene Reeves stories that I have yet to hear.  I expect to learn something new about this wonderful man before we wrap up today.

I ask that everyone who can get their hands on a red hymnal, turn to page 657.  In a few moments, we are going to sing this.  You’re thinking, I thought the family got to pick the music.

Well, Gene picked this one.  When you see Sunday and Wednesday worship from my perspective, you see a lot of different faces during the singing of the hymns.

Some folks have a little smile.  Some look like they are back in high school algebra and the bell just won’t ring.  And then there was Gene.

I could always count on Gene to have a big smile when we sang this song.  He was singing.  He was smiling.  He was the epitome of making a joyful sound unto the Lord.

And then Gene couldn’t talk or sing and had to walk around with that towel in his mouth.  I’m sure he couldn’t stand it.  It hurt me to have to see him that way, but then we would sing this song and Gene couldn’t sing but I could see him clapping with the heels of his hands.

It was a clap you couldn’t hear, but it was heard in heaven.  Gene’s heart and his hands were singing, I will enter his gates with thanksgiving in my heart.  I will enter his courts with praise.

Let’s sing number 657 together.  If you don’t have a hymnal and don’t know the words, just clap the heels of your hands together and smile like your worship is pleasing to God.

I couldn’t stand to see Gene with that towel in his mouth.  I knew he loved to talk and he didn’t have that joy in his last days.  Sometimes, when he could still talk, he would stop by in the afternoon on his way to somewhere else or just to come see me.

Our conversation always started the same way:  Got coffee?

I would answer:  Yes, but it’s been on a while.

Gene would head down the hall and return with a little Styrofoam cup of coffee and a smile on his face ready to update me on anything of local or international importance.

I would offer that the coffee was at the point when it was probably a 30-weight consistency.

Gene would smile and take a big drink and commence whatever he had to talk about drinking that coffee like it was fresh brewed gourmet blend.

You also knew when Gene had been in the building.  There would be a trail of mud from the front door to my office and usually to the coffee machine and back.  At least, I think it was mud.  He had surely come from the pasture.  I don’t know that Gene ever had an office job in his life.  He was always coming from his barn or his pasture of some point in between.

I was sure that Gene was going to get me fired.  I was sure of it.  He wanted to do the children’s sermon.  He explained what he was going to talk about and after he explained it to me, I was positive I was getting fired that very Sunday.

What are you going to do?  It’s Gene Reeves and he wants to talk to the kids.

Sunday came and I still wasn’t sure what he talked about with the kids.  I was positive that it was going to be my last Sunday though.

After the service, I talked to some of the kids, and they gave me the most succinct thoughts on what they had learned that morning.  I don’t remember what Gene talked about.  I think it was Noah and combines and harvest and broken parts.  I’m not sure but the kids were telling me about how much God loved them.

And then there was Route 66.  Gene made the analogy because there are 66 books in the Bible.  I got that but he lost me with the rest of the analogy about how many books were in the Old and New Testaments and how somehow there was this comparison, but Gene was using a different road atlas than I had.

So here’s the deal on that.  Reeves kids and grandkids, somebody is going to have to find out the whole story and be able to retell it.  That’s on you.

I have grown accustomed to having Patsy fix my tie during First Light.  I don’t wear a robe or a sports jacket during that service, but I’m not fully dressed until Patsy fixes my tie.

The morning after an elder retreat a few years ago—and we started those when Duawn was here—that morning at First Light Patsy, didn’t grab my tie.  She grabbed me by the front of my shirt and got in may face and said:  The next time I am supposed to make something to eat, you tell me and not Gene.

Everyone always brought something to eat to the retreat but only Gene had kept that information secret until the morning of the event.

Gene was our session clerk forever.  He only relinquished that duty less than 2 years ago.  Gene used to give his written notes to Patsy to type until his last few years he would give them to Laci.

Sometimes, nobody could figure out what he wrote.  His penmanship was pretty good but sometimes the sentences just didn’t make sense.

One time we were trying to make out one of those sentences.  It appeared that the session had voted to purchase a space shuttle with a manual transmission and park it on the 3 acres to our east.  That wasn’t exactly it, but close enough.  Eventually, we figured out that the session had voted to buy a fire extinguisher for the van.

Here’s the thing.  We had two or three sentences to figure out each year when the minutes were typed but what was amazing was that the session would have a 15-20-minute discussion about something we had to wrestle with and Gene would manage to record the essence of this conversation into one very succinct sentence.  It was utter brilliance.

One time, Gene couldn’t be there for the session meeting so I took the notes and after the meeting I typed them into a document and attached it to an email to Patsy.  Gene got the copy of the notes and handwrote them on his yellow legal pad so we still had to decipher them at the end of the year.
Some of you might be thinking, shouldn’t the preacher throw in a Bible verse or two?  I can’t settle on just one or two. 

Gene ran the good race, the fought the good fight, he kept the faith.  Now there is in store for him a crown of righteousness.

OBTW—there’s one waiting on you as well, if you have professed Jesus as Lord and faithfully run you race.

I can’t leave you with just Paul’s letter to Timothy, I need to give you some of the Master’s words as we celebrate Gene’s life.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

I think Gene heard this verse long ago—the Lord Jesus Christ talking about abundant life—and I think Gene said, “I’ll take me some of that!”  I don’t think he ever looked back from that point forward.

Gene knew that abundant life was watching kids and grandkids and great grandkids doing all manner of things, telling stories, and even trying to repair some machine that should have been retired a decade or two ago.  Abundant life was preparing for the Sunday school lesson.  Abundant life was dumping gutted material from this old building into a ditch and coming back for another load.

But when I think of Gene Reeves, I think of the Parable of the Talents.  If you are here on a regular basis, then you hear this parable at least twice a year.  I love this parable.

A certain man had three servants and was about to go on a long journey.  He trusted the first servant with 5 talents of money, the second with two, and the third with one.  He had given to each servant in accordance with their abilities.  Then he left for a long time.

The first servant put his talents to work immediately and made 5 more.

The second servant likewise put his talents to work right away and made 2 more. 

The third servant was afraid and hid his talent in the ground.

When the master returned, the first servant gave his account.  You gave me 5 and see I have gained you 5 more.

The second servant had a similar report.  You gave me two and see I have earned you two more.

The third servant came with his report as well, leading with his excuses for having buried his talent in the ground.  I know that you were a hard man and harvested when you didn’t even plant, and I was afraid.

The master said, “Oh you poor thing.  I’m sorry I put this burden of trust on you.”  NOT!

He said you wicked lazy servant.  All you had to do was put the money in the bank and at least you would have a little interest to show for this minimal effort.

Take the talent from him and give it to the one with the ten talents.  When Jesus told this parable, I’m sure the people remembered the proverb.  The wealth of the wicked is stored up for the righteous.

Now back to the first two servants.  You heard their reports.  Now hear their master’s reply.

Well done, good and faithful servant.  You have done well with a few things. I will put you in charge of many things.  Now, come and share your master’s happiness.

Of all the people whom I know that are trying to live out their salvation and their faith with fear and trembling—as the most important thing that you do, Gene had to be at the top of that list.

He had heeded the counsel of the psalmist and learned to number his days, know that tomorrow is not promised.  Eternity is our promise but tomorrow in these bodies on this earth is not.

Gene’s tomorrows stopped coming last Saturday, but I know with certainty, he has heard these words.

Well done, good and faithful servant.

I’m sure he has been put in charge of many things just like in the parable, but I think the words that Gene is enjoying the most are Come and share your Master’s happiness.



As you think of Gene today and in the coming days and weeks, think of the words of our Master.

Come and share your Master’s happiness.


I will rejoice for he has made me glad.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment