Sunday, October 13, 2019

The Way, the Truth, and the Life


Read John 14

Every Christian seems to love this sixth verse.

Jesus answered, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

We usually take it out of context and apply it to unbelievers, but before we begin, I hope you can see that this answer that Jesus gave to Thomas and to us is to believers, and perhaps to those truly seeking the truth.

Let’s jump backwards to chapter 8.  It begins with Jesus in the Temple Courts and the teachers of the law and the Pharisees bring a woman caught in adultery to him.  They want to see if he will comply with the Law of Moses and order her to be stoned. 

The law is the law, right?  What other choice did he have?

He could have dismissed the charge noting it takes two to tango and you brought only one.  The scripture says that she had been caught.  Her neighbors didn’t accuse her.  She was caught and that means there should have been a second party.

But Jesus does not take the legalistic and confrontational approach.  Instead he writes in the sand and says, “Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.”

You know the story.  Oldest to youngest, rocks start hitting the ground and Jesus asks the woman who is left to condemn her.  She says, “No one sir.”

Jesus sends her on her ways saying, “Neither do I.  Go and sin no more.”

It’s a powerful story not only about the mercy of God but about those entrenched in the letter of the law who had totally forsaken the Spirit of God.  This ploy didn’t work, but the religious hierarchy still wanted to get Jesus, so they launched another verbal attack upon his authority.

Who is this guy who testifies about himself?  He can’t do that.  It’s not valid!

Jesus continued that he knew exactly what he was testifying to and who sent him.  This time Jesus threw the law back at the law keepers, noting that the testimony of two is valid.  Jesus said that he was one and his Father makes two.

This led to the question, “Just where is your father?”

Jesus answered, “You don’t know me and you don’t know my Father.  Where I am going you can’t go.”

The Pharisees surely wanted to seize him, but his time had not come.  This was a very public place and if you didn’t have your ducks in order, your passion to kill this man wouldn’t be enough at least for now.

Jesus confronted these Jews with the truth that they just would not see.  Unless they believe Jesus is who he says he is, they will die in their sins. Ouch!

The discussion continued and the Pharisees claimed righteousness in being Abraham’s children but Jesus reminded them that if they were Abraham’s children, they would not being determined to kill a man who told them the truth.

Let’s jump back to our scripture from John 14.  We will skip healing the blind man in chapter 9, and the Good Shepherd in 10, and Lazarus being raised from the dead in 11.

Ok, we won’t skip everything in that chapter.  I just can’t skip over verse 25 and 26.

Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?

The intervening chapters get us to this very intimate time that Jesus spent with his followers before he went to the cross.

We have arrived back where we started.

Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.  My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.

We could take a rabbit trail down how this resembles a marriage proposal from ancient times, but that is for another day.  Today, let’s focus on the sentence that follows.

You know the way to the place where I am going.

Thomas answered, “We don’t know where you are going.”

Let’s think about this question and answer for just a moment.  Did Jesus say that you know where I am going?  No.  He did not.

He described his Father’s house and that he would prepare a place and come back and get these men when the time was right.  They couldn’t come now.

Thomas wanted the GPS coordinates, but Jesus told his followers that you know the way.

Jesus answered, I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Jesus alone is the way to the Father.  Now understand that Jesus is talking to his own disciples.  He is talking to those who should have known.
These words that follow should be a little familiar.

If you really know me, you will know my Father as well.

Are these not the words that Jesus confronted the Pharisees and teachers with?  But, he is talking to his believers.  The one who would betray him has already departed to do his work.  He is talking to 11 men who followed him all over Judea, and Galilee, and even Samaria.  These were his disciples.

Listen to what he told them next.

From now on, you do know him and have seen him.
This is where Phillip jumped in.

Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.
I might paraphrase a bit here. 

Philip, where have you been the last three years.  Did you think that my teaching was something different that what the Father has to say?  Can you not see the Father living in me?

If you are that blind, at least consider the miracles that you have witnessed.  Those had to come from the Father.

I am in the Father and the Father is in me.  You have seen the Father!

Jesus continued telling Phillip and the others that they would do greater things than they had already witnessed if they kept their faith in him, if they continued in his way.  That should take us back to chapter 8 again.

To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

If you keep reading in John, you find the promise of the Holy Spirit and directions to continue following what Jesus taught and commanded.  Among the things he commanded, remember this one without fail.

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

Understand that when Jesus said he was the way, the truth, and the life, he was speaking to his followers.  Those same words should speak to us now.

We don’t always seem to know the way.  Some days, things just seem really, really hard.  Sometimes we feel lost, not salvation lost, but navigating this world, lost.

The truth seems elusive.  Once upon a time there were two sides to every story.  Now, there are twenty-two sides to every story.  This truth that sets us free doesn’t seem to be out there, mainly because it’s not out there.

Sometimes, we even question this life.  Why am I alive?  Why am I here?  What’s up with this thing called life?  I have read The Purpose Driven Life and some other really cool books but life still has me befuddled.

We who have professed Jesus as Lord have a very direct answer.  Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.  Jesus is how we know the Father.  Jesus will come and collect us when the time is right, and we have a place prepared especially for us.

These words are for believers.  If you have to beat someone over the head with a Bible verse about Jesus being the only way to salvation, use Acts 4:12.

But understand that Jesus being the way, the truth, and the life are words given to those who already believe.  If you keep reading in John, Jesus prayed to his Father and noted that these followers have already been cleaned by the word the Father gave Jesus.

Why is this important?  We need to use these words not as a sword but as a mirror or sometimes as an invitation to the one who is truly seeking meaning in his or her life.  But they are not a sword for us to swing.  We ask ourselves. 

Am I seeking the way?

Am I seeking the truth?

Am I seeking real life from the One who is the resurrection and the life?

Am I seeking the Kingdom of God and his righteousness before everything else?

Am I seeking the guidance of the Spirit of the Living God that is so readily available?  Do I try to navigate this world on my own?

Am I seeking the full biblical witness that has been given to me or do I compartmentalize and seek only the parts that don’t disrupt my comfort zone?

Am I inviting or discouraging others with these words.



I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.


He is talking to those who already believe.  He is talking to us.

Everything we need starts and ends with Jesus.  Through Jesus we know the Father.  Through Jesus, we receive the Holy Spirit.  Through Jesus God’s word speaks to us like never before.  When we are at a loss as to what to do or where to turn or if something seems too tough to handle, turn to Jesus.

The author of Hebrews put it this way.

Keep you eyes fixed on Jesus, the Author and Finisher of your faith.

We have been talking about truth for some time now, but understand that we will not know truth apart from Jesus.  He is the only way to the Father.

He is the way, the truth, and the life.

Throw these words at an unbeliever and they are poorly translated subtitles on a foreign film.  These words are for us and for those hungry for the truth, and I remind us of that today because sometimes we lose track of that simple statement and insert our own ways, and our version of the truth, and our definition of life.

We end up entrenched in the own understanding part of Proverbs 3:5-6.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life.  He is the only way we truly come to the Father.  We can look at creation and know there is a Creator.  We can read God’s word and follow his directions and do as well as the Pharisees.  


But Jesus is the only way to God the Father.  Let’s not be distracted.  Let’s not get cut off in our race.  Let’s press on towards the goal knowing this simple statement.



Sometimes the answers are just that simple.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life!

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment