Thursday, May 9, 2019

Faith Proved Genuine



I don’t know how much longer that the world I grew up in with still be with us.  I don’t know how long our social norms will generally reflect godly values.  I don’t know.

We have heard that the end is near for decades.  Each generation thinks it couldn’t get any worse, but it seems that it does.  The current generation does not understand because it has no perspective and these days it has no traditions or customs of goodness passed on to them.

This is surely generalization as I know many in this generation who have been brought up in the way they should go, but even the generalization must not be ignored.  These are tough times.

Now, I say this, knowing I will drive home in a nearly new car.  I say times are tough but have a good roof over my head.  I say that things seem to be getting worse but have enough money to meet my needs and bless others.

I might say that the world seems to be closing in on the church, but in the same breath I will tell you that the church is invading this godless world with love and good news.  Some days seem better than others.  Somedays it seems that we celebrate victory after victory and other times it seems like we just hunker down and ride it out—whatever it may be.

Life has struggle.  It has trials.  It comes with troubles.  And we are called to navigate this life with faith. 

We continue our exploration of faith, so let’s begin with what should be a very familiar defining verse from the King James Version.

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.


The world is full of trouble, trouble that directly impacts our lives.  Jesus said that we would have trouble in the world.  But in spite of our troubles, we can have peace.  Jesus said, take courage, I have overcome the world.
We must have faith in the victory that we know in Jesus.  It can be tough.  We are called to have faith in the middle of our troubles. 

I want you to think of a young man named David.  David wrote so many psalms.  Some of them you know by heart.  I like this one in the King James Version.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

There is no poetry here except for the experience that brought these words to David. There is no poetry here except that these words transcend millenia and touch our lives today.

I love the whole psalm but I think to this one sentence.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies,

Face to face with my enemies, the Lord throws a banquet for me.  Imagine that.  Now imagine enjoying that.  In the presence of people who want to kill you, you enjoy a banquet prepared for you by the Lord. 

Now that would take some audacity.  Actually, it takes faith.

Think to the life of the man we know as David.  He wasn’t even his dad’s first choice when he was told that Israel’s next king would come from his son’s.  This ruddy young man went through some stuff.  That’s a generalization.

·       He defeated Goliath while the rest of Saul’s army was shaking in their sandals.

·       He was hunted down like a wild animal.

·       He had a chance to kill Saul and end being pursued as an enemy of the state, but didn’t.

·       He killed tens of thousands in battle for his nation.

·       He consolidated his authority and power and was great king.

·       He succumbed to the beauty and allure of Bathsheba.

·       He was cut to the quick by the truth from a friend named Nathan.

He was a poet and songwriter and revealed his soul to us.


David went through some stuff and yet whether he was on the run or self-indulgent, the Lord was always his Rock and his Refuge. 

Whether he was making wise choices or foolish ones, he was a man after God’s own heart and a man who lived by faith.

He knew that his victories came from God and his sin he confessed to God.  He lived!  He really lived. 

We are blessed that this man who really lived was a poet and songwriter for we gain an insight into a full life. 
Who would have thought that salty shepherd boy was poet?  We are blessed that he was.

Sometimes we think the Christian life will take us down the primrose path.  Sometime we think it is nothing but suffering and hardship, that every reward lies in the life to come.

I hope that we understand that both victories and hardships are part of refining our faith.  Sometimes that feels like a roller coaster ride.  That is our journey.  Some call it a walk.  Some, like Paul, considered it a race. 

What it is for all is a time to refine our faith—to know it to be genuine.  It is a time to embrace both victories and troubles knowing that God is sovereign. 

It is a time to believe that sorrow may last for the night but joy comes in the morning.

It is a time to know that abundant life is more about being connected to other believers than the stuff we can drag around with us in this world.

James said, when we face troubles in this world, consider them as discipline (not punishment) from the Lord.  What does that mean?  Grow in times of trouble.  Learn something.  Keep the faith and grow.

Paul reminds us that nothing we suffer here will amount to a hill of beans compared to what is in store for us.

Peter in his own style affirms the words of these other two New Testament authors.  For this all three seem to be on exactly the same page.

Everything in life is just grist for the mill for the believer.  God is already working the circumstances of our lives for the good.  What’s our part?  Faith.

How do we know that we are being faithful, especially in our trials?

Let’s think about this.

Am I still sharing the good news?
Am I bringing God’s love into the world?
Am I bringing God’s light into this world?
Am I faithful in my tithe and other giving?

Can people taste the goodness of the Lord in me on my worst day?

Do I trust God with all of my heart, especially when my human understanding does not want to?

Do I obey God by doing what the word and his Spirit lead me to do?  Let’s put that one this way?  Am I putting his words into practice?

Do I seek God and his kingdom and his righteousness above anything my selfish heart desires?

Do I rejoice always, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances?

Is his word the main part of my daily diet?  Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

Do we listen to God’s Spirit even when the world makes a great sales pitch?

That’s a long list and it’s not all inclusive, but here’s one that might be a viable litmus test for you.  Can I be still?  Can I be still in this middle of this troubled world that’s gone bonkers in so many ways?  Can I be still and just trust that God is God. 

Can I be still and cling to God as my Rock?
Can I be still and know that I am redeemed?
Can I be still knowing God to be in control in the middle of my tribulation?

If we are doing these things, then our faith is being proved genuine even though the world around us does not seem to give way.  Perhaps the reading and praying and tithing is easier for us.  Sometimes the being still—being fully in the God’s grace—is the harder part.

If we hold fast to the words of our Master that say he has overcome the world, our faith is proved genuine.

If in spite of what the world demands of us, we put our Master’s words into practice in our lives, our faith is proved genuine.

Luke 18 begins with the story of the persistent widow.  I won’t include that in this morning’s message except to say that this short pericope ends with a question.

When the Son of Man comes, will he find faith upon the earth?  We read about the faith he encountered when he lived and died and rose again as God with us.  That leaves us to ask ourselves, what account will we give?

Because in good times and bad, we hold tight to our faith, the answer for us is the Son of Man will find faith with us.  Because our faith is genuine, we are going to make it easy for him to spot us amidst this godless world.

My prayer for us this morning is that our faith be proved genuine, that it leads us to discipleship, and that our discipleship is pleasing to God.

The Lord will find genuine faith among us when he comes.  He will see it so readily in our responsive love to his grace. 

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment